Aleksei Kudrin graduated from the Economics Department of Leningrad State University. In December 1985, he entered full-time postgraduate study at the USSR Institute of Economics. Having defended his thesis, he was engaged in scientific work at the Institute of Social and Economic problems of the USSR. From October 1990, he was Deputy Chairman of the Executive Committee on Economic Reform in the Leningrad City Council. After the liquidation of the Committee on Economic Reform, Kudrin joined the Management Committee of the Leningrad free enterprise zone. From November 1991 to 1992, he served as Vice-Chairman of the Committee for Economic Development. From August 1992 to 1993, Kudrin was Chairman of the Central Financial Management for the Mayor’s office of St.Petersburg (later renamed the Finance Commitee). From 1993 to June 1996, Kudrin was the Deputy and First Deputy Mayor of St. Petersburg City Council, a Member of the City Government, and Chairman of the Committee of Economy and Finance.
Kudrin is the author of more than 15 scientific works in the field of economics and finance. He has led courses at the NIU Higher School of Economics and the State University of the Ministry of Finance, and he is an honorary professor of the Department of Economics of St. Petersburg State University.
Since August 1996, he was appointed to various leadership positions in the Government of the Russian Federation by Presidential decree: Deputy Head of Presidential Administration, Chief of the General Accountability Office of the President of Russia, First Deputy Minister of Finance, Deputy Prime Minister of Finance, Chairman of the National Banking Council, the Chairman council for Financial Markets at the RF President. By a presidential decree of October 12, 2005, № 1199, Kudrin was awarded the Order «For merits to Fatherland of IV grade».
Powerful foreign media outlets have named him the Best Minister of Finance for many years running:
- «The Best Minister of Finance in the Central and Eastern Europe» (Emerging Markets, 2003)
- «World Minister of Finance of the year» (The Banker, 2004)
- «Minister of Finance of the European countries» (The Banker, 2004)
- «The Best Minister of Finance among European countries with developing market» (Emerging Markets, 2006)
- «The Best Minister of Finance of the year» (Euromoney, 2010)
Author of more than 30 scientific works in economics and finance (selected list):
- Posledstvija krizisa i perspektivy social'no-ekonomicheskogo razvitija Rossii. In: Voprosy ekonomiki. 2011. №3 [in Russian].
- Mirovoj finansovyj krizis i ego vlijanie na Rossiju. In: Voprosy ekonomiki. 2009. №1 [in Russian].
- Infljacija: rossijskie i mirovye tendencii. In: Voprosy ekonomiki. 2007. №10 [in Russian].
- Real'nyj effektivnyj kurs rublja: problemy rosta. In: Voprosy ekonomiki. 2006. №10 [in Russian].
- Mehanizmy formirovanija neneftegazovogo balansa bjudzheta Rossii. In: Voprosy ekonomiki. 2006. №8 [in Russian].
- Stabilizacionnyj fond: zarubezhnyj i rossijskij opyt. In: Voprosy ekonomiki. 2006. №2 [in Russian].