Night Whites 2019
The Fifth St. Petersburg Winter Workshop on Experimental Studies of Speech and Language (58–60 Galernaya Street).
- 8:45–9:15am Registration
- 9:15–9:30am Opening remarks by Tatiana Chernigovskaya
- 9:30–10:40am Keynote lecture 1. Jukka Hyönä "Iconicity as a Bridge Between Language and the World"
10:40–11:00am Coffee break
11:00–12:20pm Session 1
- Maria Alekseeva, Andriy Myachykov, Beatriz Bermúdez-Margaretto, Yury Shtyrov "Rapid Automatic Syntactic Parsing and Integration of Extralinguistic Information into Morphosyntactic Analysis: ERP Evidence"
- Beatriz Bermúdez-Margaretto, Lilli Kimppa, Fernando Cuetos, Yury Shtyrov "Brain Correlates of Ultra-fast Acquisition of Novel Word-Forms in Spoken and Written Language"
- Raymond Bertram, Anna Kautto, Elina Mainela-Arnold "Morphological Skills of Finnish Elementary School Children with DLD"
- Francesca Carota, Mirjana Bozic, William Marslen-Wilson "Grammatical Category in the Neural Representation of Derivational Morphology"
12:20–2:05pm Poster session 1 and lunch
2:05–3:25pm Session 2
- Daria Chernova, Natalia Slioussar, Svetlana Alekseeva "Inflectional Affixes that Walk by Themselves: Case Form Processing in a Sentential Context"
- Michael Collins "Testing the Language-Throwing Hypothesis"
- Julia Edeleva "Processing Strategies in Language Acquisition"
- Federico Gallo, Nikolay Novitsky, Andriy Myachykov, Yury Shtyrov "Individual Differences in Bilingual Experience Modulate Executive Control and Its Brain Network: Behavioral and Neuroanatomical Data"
3:25–3:40pm Coffee break
3:40–5:00pm Session 3
- Valeria Gershkovich, Nadezhda Moroshkina, Daria Kostina, Maxim Kireev, Alexander Korotkov, Natalia Slioussar, Victor Allakhverdov, Tatiana Chernigovskaya "Aftereffects of Ambiguity Resolution in the Word Fragment Completion Task"
- Daniil Gnetov, Timur Mashanlo, Jukka Hyönä, Seppo Vainio "Parafoveal Processing of Russian Morphology by Native Speakers and Tatar- and Khakas-Russian Bilinguals"
- Tania Kachkovskaia, Alla Menshikova, Pavel Kholyavin "Do We Use Different ’Voices’ with a Friend and with a Stranger?"
- Anastasiia Kaprielova, Anastasia Kromina, Anna Laurinavichute "Eye-Movements in Reading in Russian Sigh Language Native Speakers"
5:00–5:20pm Coffee break
5:20–6:30pm Keynote lecture 2. Silvia Gennari. TBA
9:30–10:40am Keynote lecture 3. Anna Borghi "Abstract Concepts: An Example of how Language Enhances Cognition"
10:40–11:00am Coffee break
11:00–12:20pm Session 4
- Aleksei Korneev, Ekaterina Matveeva, Tatiana Akhutina "Silent Reading in Elementary School: Neuropsychological and Eye-Ttracking Data"
- Maya Korotkaya, Anna Laurinavichyute, Natalia Slioussar "Comparison of Attraction Errors Across Number and Person Categories"
- Arto Mustajoki, Tatiana Sherstinova "How to Recognise Covert Failures of Communication?"
- Veronika Prokopenya, Olga Konstantinova, Ekaterina Saenko, Aliona Zhukova "Readers' Expectations and Text Processing: Evidence from Eye-Movements"
12:20–2:05pm Poster session 2 and lunch
2:05–3:15pm Keynote lecture 4. Martin Pickering "Understanding Dialogue: Language Use and Social Interaction"
3:15–3:30pm Coffee break
3:30–4:50pm Session 5
- Keerthi Ramanujan "The Role of Relative Language Distance on Bilingual Neurobiology"
- Pavel Shilin, Maxim Kireev, Natalia Slioussar "The Age of Acquisition Effect for Inflectional Classes: An ERP Study on Russian"
- Amy Smolek, Vsevolod Kapatsinski "Learning Morphological Paradigms: Contributions of Discriminative and Hebbian Learning"
- Twila Tardif, Lexie Huang, Isabel Hernandez, Tajah Pinkard, Lee Sepulveda "What Aspects of Language Can Children Learn from Media and Apps?"
4:50–5:10pm Coffee break
5:10–6:20pm Keynote lecture 5. Mikko Sams "Brain Activity During Listening and Lip-reading Natural Narratives"
6:20–6:30pm Conference closure
Poster session 1
- Svetlana Alekseeva, Natalia Slioussar "Transposition Priming is Diminished in the Beginning of Russian Words"
- Ekaterina Andriushchenko, Iunna Golshtein, Denis Volkov, Margarita Filippova, Olga Shcherbakova "Comprehension of Ambiguous Texts in People with Different Levels of Emotional Intelligence, Psychometric Intelligence and Theory of Mind"
- Iana Bashmakova, Olga Shcherbakova "Meditation to Affect Metaphor Production? A Randomized Controlled Study"
- Ekaterina Blinova, Olga Shcherbakova "Cognitive Processing of Verbal Texts and Infographics: Different or the Same?"
- Ivan Brack, Ekaterina Ionina "Analysis of the Effects of Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (tDCS) on Phonetic and Semantic Verbal Fluency"
- Lyudmila Cherenkova, Lyudmila Sokolova "Letter Identification in Children with Language Disoder"
- Daria Chernova, Daria Podvigina "Does Phonological Representation Influence Lexical Access in Visual Word Recognition?"
- Daria Chernova, Elizaveta Vilenchik, Natalia Slioussar "Word Form Homophony Affects Error Processing in Silent Reading: Evidence from Russian"
- Boris Chernyshev, Anna Butorina, Anastasia Nikolaeva, Andrey Prokofyev, Tatiana Stroganova "Associative Reward Learning Leads to Auditory-Motor Mapping in the Human Brain: A MEG Study During Acquisition of Action Word Meaning"
- Lindy Comstock, Jianhong He, Pavan Holur, Tonmoy Monsoor, Vwani Roychowdhury, William Speier "Parallels Between Auditory and Neural Processing in TMS-facilitated Speech Decoding"
- Lindy Comstock, Panagiota Loizidou, Bruce Oliver, Alexxa Vasquez "A Meta-analysis of Task-Based Differences in Bilingual L1 and L2 Language Networks"
- Elena Davtian, Aleksei Ilichev "Some Characteristics of Inner Speech in Modern Age"
- Stepan Davtian "On the Role of Language in Anthropopoesis"
- Maria Dayter, Elena Riekhakaynen "Processing Highly Reduced Word Forms in Spontaneous Russian"
- Valeria Demareva "Universal and Language-Specific Eye Tracking Patterns: Evidence from Fixation Duration in Bilingual L1 and L2 Reading"
- Aleksandra Dusheiko, Zoya Rezanova "Lexical Component of the Language Faculty: Differences in L1 and L2 Russian Speakers"
- Vera Evdokimova, Nikolay Shavalev, Aleksandra Pyriaeva, Tatiana Chukaeva "A Comparative Analysis of the Identity of the Acoustic Characteristics of the Twins"
- Daniil Gnetov, Aki-Juhani Kyröläinen "Word Embeddings as a Window into Semantic Structuring of Morphological Family Size in Russian"
- Timo Heikkilä, Jukka Hyönä "Relating Foveal and Parafoveal Processing Efficiency with Sentence-Level Parameters in Reading"
- Tania Kachkovskaia, Anna Mamushina, Alena Portnova "Where Does Melody Go after Nucleus—Evidence from Russian Read Speech"
- Mariya Khudyakova, Maria Grabovskaya "Effect of Speaker’s Fatigue and Discourse Genre on Speech Characteristics: A Pilot Study"
- Alexander Kirsanov, Olga Shcherbakova, Margarita Filippova, Evgeny Blagovechtchenski, Yury Shtyrov "Online Brain Activation Dynamics During Novel Word Acquisition: EEG Study"
- Daniil Kocharov, Alla Menshikova "Unrounding of Vowels in Russian Speech"
- Uliana Kochetkova "Vowel Quality Evaluation in the Experiments with Tuning Forks: Modern Listeners Perception vs Historical Data"
- Uliana Kochetkova, Eugenia Novolodskaya "Temporal Organization of Russian and French Spontaneous Speech: A Case Study of Opera Singers’ Interviews"
- Grigory Kopytin, Beatriz Bermúdez-Margaretto, Andriy Myachykov, Yury Shtyrov "Biliteracy Advantage: Learning Novel Written Word-Forms in Native and Second Language Scripts"
- Natalia Kriakina "On the Issue of Selecting Acoustic Characteristics Ensuring Gender"
- Oksana Kryvonogova, Lyudmila Grubnyk, Vira Radchenko "Communication Continues after Early Intervention Program Has Finished"
- Daria Pavlova "The Influence of the Speaker’s Gender on the Semantic Structure of Oral Spontaneous Text"
- Yulia Ryabova, Irina Temnikova, Olga Nagel "Processing Cognates by Late Russian-English Bilinguals: RT and Eye-Tracking Studies"
- Galina Shastina, Tatiana Nesterova "Perceptual Strategies for a Non-native Word Recognition"
- Jana Taperte "The Perception of Nasals in Latvian"
- Nina Zdorova, Mariya Khudyakova "Anaphora Resolution of Null and Overt Pronouns in Adult Spanish Learners"
Poster session 2
- María Eugenia Arthuis Blanco, Oytun Aygun, Pia Rämä "Lexical Learning During early Language Acquisition: An Event-related Potential (ERP) Study in French-learning 2-Years-Olds"
- Elena Galkina, Sofia Krasnoshchekova, Natalia Ringblom, Natalia Urgumova "Linguistic Expression of Causal Relations in Picture-Based Narratives: Language Proficiency or Cognitive Abilities?"
- Evgenia Glazanova "Experimental Study of the Category 'Furniture' by the Gradual Etalon Method"
- Maxim Kireev, Alexander Korotkov, Valeria Gershkovich, Nadezhda Moroshkina, Natalia Slioussar, Veronika Prokopenya, Victor Allakhverdov, Tatiana Chernigovskaya "Brain Mechanisms for Meaning Selection in the Setting of Ambiguity Resolution: An fMRI Study"
- Nina Ladinskaya, Anna Chrabaszcz, Anastasiya Lopukhina "Acquisition of Grammatical Rules in Monolingual and Bilingual Children: A Case of Russian Noun Case"
- Anastasiya Lopukhina, Anna Laurinavichyute, Svetlana Malyutina "Eye Movements During Algorithmic and Good-enough Sentence Processing"
- Irina Malanchuk, Anna Zalevskaya "Results of Cognitive Processing of Social Information by Young Children (According to Language and Speech): Gender Aspect"
- Anastasia Malyshevskaya, Andriy Myachikov "Spatial Mapping of Temporal Semantics"
- Svetlana Malyutina, Daria Zharikova, Elena Savinova "The Effect of Case on Morphological Processing: Evidence from an 'Illusory Conjunctions' Paradigm"
- Beatriz Martín-Luengo, Maria Alekseeva, Oksana Zinchenko, Yury Shtyrov "The Social Context Matter: Differences in the Informativeness-Accuracy Trade-off Depending on the Situation"
- Olga Martynova, Vladislav Balaev "Functional Connectivity in the Right Temporal Cortex in the Post-stroke Aphasia"
- Nadezhda Mkrtychian, Svetlana Kostromina, Daria Gnedykh, Diana Kurmakaeva, Evgeny Blagovechtchenski, Yury Shtyrov "Acquisition of Concrete and Abstract Concepts: An Interdisciplinary Investigation"
- Olga Nagel, Irina Temnikova "Orthography Effects in Word Processing (Tatar-Russian Case Study)"
- Elena Nikolaeva, Tatiana Brisberg "The Intelligence and Sensorimotor Integration in Children with Specific Language Impairment"
- Yulia Nikolaeva, Alexandra Evdokimova "Hand and Shoulders Gestures: A Step Towards a Complex Analysis of Communicative Movements"
- Sergei Oganov, Aleksander Kornev "Self-monitoring of Text Comprehension: The Eye Tracking Study in 9-11 y. o. Dyslexic Children"
- Polina Panicheva, Tatiana Litvinova "A Corpus Study of Semantic Coherence in Schizophrenia in Russian Written Texts"
- Ekaterina Perikova, Margarita Filippova, Olga Shcherbakova, Alexander Kirsanov, Evgeny Blagovechtchenski, Yury Shtyrov "Anodal and Cathodal tDCS of Wernicke's and Broca's Areas Affects Acquisition of Novel Words in Word-Picture Association Task"
- Olena Petrova, Anastasiia Romaniuk, Nadiia Trapizanova "The Role of Family Engagement in Alternative and Augmentative Communication (AAC) Intervention Programs"
- Tatiana Petrova, Elena Riekhakaynen, Valentina Bratash "Sketch Structure as a Way to Resolve Ambiguity while Reading Polycode Texts"
- Aleksandra Petrovskaia, Khalimat Murtazalieva "Machine Learning Algorithm as a Credible Tool to Reveal Manipulative Components in Different Types of the Texts"
- Mikhail Pokhoday, Yury Shtyrov, Andriy Myachykov "Modality of Attention and Syntax in Russian and English"
- Anna Rebreikina, Ekaterina Larionova "Early Stages of Visual Word Processing in Different Types of Experimental Paradigm"
- Arnaud Rey, Louisa Bogaerts, Laure Tosatto, Guillem Bonafos, Ana Franco, Benoit Favre "The Learning Dynamics of Recurrent Sequences"
- Galina Ryazanskaya, Mariya Khudyakova, Olga Buivolova "Automated Analysis of Verbal Fluency Task in Healthy Speakers: Preliminary Results"
- Kseniia Skuratova, Maria Lykova "Effect of Illustrations on the Reading Process in Children with Dyslexia"
- Ekaterina Slesareva, Anne Mickan, James McQueen, Kristin Lemhöfer "Effects of Consolidation in Foreign Language Attrition"
- Anna Smetina, Varvara Magomedova, Natalia Slioussar "Factors Affecting the Decay of Stem-Final Consonant Mutations: Ukrainian vs Russian"
- Ekaterina Stankova, Elizaveta Galperina, Olga Kruchinina, Alexander Kornev "EEG Resting State Functional Connectivity in 9-13 Years Old Dyslexics"
- Andrey Stepanenko, Zoya Rezanova "Emotional Markers of Dialogue Differences in Social Networks: Gender, Function of Communicants or Topic?"
- Maxim Ulanov, Yury Shtyrov, Olga Dragoy, Svetlana Malyutina, Ekaterina Iskra, Olga Soloukhina, Olga Buivolova, Vidya Somashekarappa, Anastasia Nikolaeva, Andrey Prokofyev, Anna Pavlova, Matteo Feurra, Friedemann Pulvermüller, Tatiana Stroganova "Intensive Language-Action Therapy Combined with Anodal tDCS Leads to Verb Generation Improvements in Chronic Non-fluent Post-stroke Aphasia"
- Alina Vasilyeva, Zoya Rezanova "The Influence of Bilingualism on Emotional Words Cognitive Processing (Turkic-Russian Bilingualism)"
- Marina Vasilyeva, Veronika Knyazeva, Aleksander Aleksandrov, Yury Shtyrov "Neural Correlates of Rapid Single-shot Word Learning in Young Children"