Inequalities and Social Policy
International Conference "Inequalities and Social Policy: New Approaches to Researching Exclusion and Disability".
4:00–5:30pm Disability Studies: History, Current Policies and Their Actors. Chair—Sarah Phillips (Indiana University, USA)
- Oksana Sinyavskaya (Higher School of Economics, Moscow) "Russian Social Policy Responses to Challenges of Poverty and Inequality: Case Studies of Old Age, Disability and Care Needs"
- Bernhard Weicht (University of Innsbruck, Austria) "A Dignified End? Euthanasia Discourses and the Fear of Old Age and Dependency"
- Maria Cristina Galmarini-Kabala (College of William and Mary, USA) "Ambassadors of Social Progress or Obstacles to Integration? The Paradox of Russian Blind Activism in the Global Arena of the 1960s and 1970s"
6:00–7:00pm Disability Studies: History, Current Policies and Their Actors. Chair— Anna Klepikova (EUSP)
- Kassandra Hartblay, Gyuzel Kamalova (University of Toronto, Canada) "Is There a Soviet Concept of Disability Access? Tracing Lexicons of Mobility and Convenience from the Late Soviet Period to the 2010s"
- Elena Iarskaia-Smirnova, Olga Verbilovitch (Higher School of Economics, Moscow) "Disability Mediatization: New Actors and Challenges in Digital Age"
12:00–1:30pm Vulnerable Children: Political and Cultural Factors of Exclusion. Chair—Anna Altukhova (EUSP)
- Charlie Walker (University of Southampton, United Kingdom) "Gendering Resilience: Masculinities, Care Leavers and Social Inclusion in Russia"
- Svetlana Yaroshenko (SPbU), Astrid Schorn (Free University of Berlin, Germany) "Regimes of Exclusion Through the Prism of Children from Families with Downward Mobility in Russia"
- Galina Markova (New Bulgarian University, Bulgaria) "Participatory Action Research as a Tool to Alleviate the Inequalities in Deinstitutionalization in Bulgaria"
2:00–4:00pm Vulnerable Children: Political and Cultural Factors of Exclusion. Chair—Zhanna Chernova (SPbU)
- Meri Kulmala, Anna Fomina (Helsinki University, Finland) "Planning for the Future: Future Orientation, Agency and Self-Efficacy of Young Adults Leaving Care in the Russian Arctic"
- Larisa Shpakovskaya (Sociological Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences; University of Helsinki, Finland) "Up the Down Staircase: The Ideology of Opportunities and the Limitations of Educational Choice of Care Leavers in Russia"
4:00–4:30pm Final discussion