Modern Social Movements
Conference "Modern Social Movements: Questions about Subjects and Politicization" (58–60 Galernaya Street)
9:30am Opening, greetings: Nikolai Skvortsov (SPbU), Vincent McGee (Gagarin Trust, USA)
10:00am Key-notes. Chair: Anisia Khokhlova (SPbU)
- Kerstin Jacobsson (University of Gothenburg, Sweden) "Grassroots in the City: New Perspectives on Urban Movements in Central and Eastern Europe"
- Helena Flam (University of Leipzig, Germany) "Social Movements and Emotions"
- Anna Zhelnina (City University of New York, USA), Karine Clément (SPbU) "Becoming an Activist in an Apolitical Society. A View from Russia"
2:00pm Parallel sessions
Emotions, Identity and Values in Social Movements. Chair: Vladimir Kostyushev (Higher School of Economics)
- Maksim Alyukov (EUSP) "Exclusion, Collective Identity and Reterritorialization of Affect: The Case of Anti-Maidan Movement in Ukraine"
- Maria Gryshchenko (Kiev National University, Ukraine) "Values of Protesters, Presented in the Visual Documents in the Public Space of the Euromaydan in November 2013—March 2014 Movement in Ukraine"
- Denis Skopin (SPbU) "'Politics of the Mourning:' The Soldiers Mother Committee in Russia and Its Activities"
- Aleksandrina Vanke (Russian State University for the Humanities, Moscow) "Political Emotions: Protest and Pro-Government Rallies in Russia in 2011–2013"
Nationalism. Chair: Anton Oleynik (Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada)
- Marharyta Fabrykant (Higher School of Economics) "Nationalist Movements in Postnationalist World: Will the Future Differ from the Past?"
- Pal Kolsto (University of Oslo, Norway) "Collaboration Between Nationalists and Liberals"
- Maria Turovets "Policy of Obedience: Depoliticization of the Movement Against Copper-Nickel Mining in Chernozemie (Voronezh Region)"
4:00pm Coffee break
4:30pm Parallel sessions
Solidarity Building. Chair: Viktor Kaploun (SPbU)
- Boris Gladarev (Centre for Independent Social Research) "Attempts to Overcome 'Public Aphasia:' An Analysis of Public Discussions in Russia at the Beginning of the 21st Century"
- Aleksander Kondakov (EUSP) "Building Coalitions: A Methodology of Queer Reading of Migration Policy"
- Oleg Zhuravlev (EUSP) "Politicization of Apolitical Activism: Post-Protest Local Movements in Russia"
- Natalia Tregubova (SPbU) "Why Labor Migrants Do Not Protest in Russia? Analysis of Deprivation, Discontent and Collective Action Through the Lens of Sociology of Emotions"
Conservative Mobilization, Mobilization for Reform, Religious Mobilization. Chair: Anna Gurinskaya (SPbU)
- Ekaterina Khodzhaeva (EUSP) "Revival of DND (Voluntary People's Guard) in Russia: A Case of Social Mobilization from Above"
- Sarah Lindermann-Komarova (Novosibirsk State University) "What Works: The Emergence of a New Paradigm to Promote Reform and Social Movements in Russia"
- Danila Raskov (SPbU) "The Protest Repertoire of Sons of Freedom in Canada"
10:00am Key-notes. Chair: Susan Gillespie (Bard College, USA)
- Laurent Thévenot (School of Higher Studies in Social Sciences, France) "What do We Learn from Russian Collective Actions Analysis: A Transnational Perspective"
- Donatella Della Porta (European University Institute, Italy) "Democracy in the Squares: Participation and Deliberation in Social Movements"
- Geoffrey Pleyers (Catholic University Leuven, Belgium) "Alter-Activism on the Squares and Beyond. From Subjectivation to Action"
- Nina Eliasoph (University of Southern California, USA) "Social Movements as NGOs in the Culture of Accountability: Documenting Unique Places, People and Customs for Distant Donors"
2:00pm Parallel sessions
Dynamics of Politicization and Depoliticization (Ordinary People, Ordinary Protest Experiences). Chair: Anna Zhelnina (City University of New York, USA)
- Elena Belokurova, Dmitry Vorobiev (Centre for Independent Social Research) "Social Mobilization Through Electoral Campaigns in a Depoliticized Society: Case of Municipal Elections in St. Petersburg"
- Yulia Skokova (Higher School of Economics) "What Effects Does Movement of Election Observers Have on Civil Society and Democracy in Russia?"
- Ksenia Ermoshina (Paris School of Mines, France) "Struggle Against Potholes as a Struggle Against Corruption: Civic Applications and Construction of Public Problems in Contemporary Russia"
- Aleksander Nikiforov (SPbU) "Traffic Conflicts and Accidents as a Framework for Politicization of an Apolitical Society in Russia: From Social Rage to Contentious Politics"
- Anton Oleynik (Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada) "A Political Dimension of Traffic Police's Operation in Russia: A Case Study"
Ideologies, Frames, Top-Down or Bottom-Up Approaches. Chair: Ivan Kurilla (SPbU)
- Andrey Semenov (Perm State National Research University) "From Economic Crisis to Political: Dynamic of Mobilisation Frames in Russia (2008–2012)"
- Christian Fröhlich (Södertörn University, Sweden) "Anarchists in Contemporary Russia: A Movement yet to Rise?"
- Ostbo Jardar (University of Oslo, Norway) "Emotional Demobilization. The Social Media Framing of the 'Apolitical Values' of Russian Pro-Regime Demonstrations"
- Maria Koskina (Higher School of Economics) "The Concept of Justice in the Internet Social Network Discourse of the Civil Activists (Nizhny Novgorod in Support of Kargin)"
- Geir Flikke (University of Oslo) "The Cultural Turn in Social Movements: Symbolic Framing in the Russian Electoral Protests of 2011–2012"
4:00pm Coffee break
5:00pm Parallel sessions
Social, Economics, Profession, Urban and Politics. Chair: Olga Chepurnaya (SPbU)
- Svetlana Erpyleva and Andrey Nevsky (Public Sociology Laboratory) "The Political and the Social in Mass Protest Movements in Russia and Ukraine"
- Anisia Khokhlova and Elena Tykanova (SPbU) "The Construction of 'Growth Machines' Images in Local City-Planning Conflicts in St. Petersburg"
- Ksenia Demakova (Perm State National Research University) "Successful Communication Practices of Urban Activist Groups"
- Asya Mironenko (EUSP) "Professionalization of the Russian Medicine and Depolitization of Russian Medics"
Why and How People Mobilize? Individual Engagement. Chair: Carine Clément (SPbU)
- Melanie Henry (Aix-Marseille University, France) "Representing the 1977s Popular Uprising: Individual Narratives of a Collective Experience in Alexandria (Egypt)"
- Youssef El Chazli (Columbia University, USA; University of Lausanne, Switzerland) "From 'Zero' to 'Hero:' Becoming Revolutionaries in Egypt's 2nd Capital"
- Olga Lavrinenko (Center for the Political Analysis and Prognosis) "Anti-Systemic Protests as a Type of Civic Emancipation in the Authoritarian Regimes: Cases of Protest Against Fraudulent Presidential Elections in Belarus (2006 and 2010)"
- Elena Trubina (Ural Federal University, Yekaterinburg) "On Futility of Joining Protests: College-Educated Young Russians' Perspectives"