Art and Politics (Walter Benjamin's Legacy)
Roundtable discussion "Art and Politics (Walter Benjamin's Legacy)" in the framework of "Critique of the Social Sciences and Humanities" Seminar and "Human Rights" Seminar (58–60 Galernaya Street).
3:30–4:30pm Panel 1
- Valentin Golev (SPbU) "Overcoming Philology: Benjamin Defends 'Baudelaire' Before Adorno"
- Anastasia Bergalevich (SPbU) "What is 'Aura' by W. Benjamin? Elucidation Through the Concept of 'Double Distance' by G. Didi-Huberman"
- Anastasia Rykshina (SPbU) "Benjamin and Bataille: Intersection of French and German Discourses, Biographic and Conceptual Relationships Between Two Thinkers"
5:00–6:15pm Panel 2
- Susan Gillespie (USA) "Prescience and Prediction. Walter Benjamin's Media Dialectics and the US Presidential Election of 2016"
- Aaron Levy (University of Pennsylvania, USA) "Straying: Surviving on the Margins"
- Artemy Magun (SPbU) "From Critique of Violence to the Concept of History: Benjamin's Analytics of Negativity"
6:15-6:30pm Coffee break
6:30–8:00pm Panel 3
- Jean-Louis Déotte (Paris 8 University, France) "Benjamin and the 'Paradox of the Sock'"
- Denis Skopin (SPbU) "Communal Apartments and Museums in 'Moscow Diary:' Political Aspects"
- Sergey Fokin (SPbU) "Benjamin's Criticism of Max Weber: On the Religious Structure of Capitalism"
- Sophie-Aurore Roussel (University Nice Sophia Antipolis, France) "Theater: A Political 'Apparatus'"