Economics and Religion
International conference "Economics and Religion" (58–60 Galernaya Street).
9:30am Conference opening: Aleksei Kudrin, Danila Raskov (SPbU) "Economy and Religion: Perspectives of Research"
10:00am Economic Theory and Religion
- Robert Nelson (University of Maryland, USA) "Economics as Religion: A New Perspective on the Financial Crisis"
- Paul Oslington (Australian Catholic University, Australia) "Promise and Difficulties of the Dialogue Between Economics and Religion"
11:30am Coffee break
12:00am Business Ethics of Christianity
- Mikhail Rumiantsev (SPbU) "Christian Anthropology and Its Influence on the Economic Thought"
- Sergey Lukin (Belarusian State University, Belarus) "Christian Doctrine of the Value of Material Goods"
- Bruce Chilton (Bard College, USA) "Jesus and the Politics of Taxation"
3:00pm Parallel Sessions
Capitalism and Socialism as a Religion
- Sergey Fokin (SPbU) "Аbout the Origins of and Prospects of the Economic Ideas of Walter Benjamin (To the Genealogy of the Article 'Capitalism as Religion')"
- Andrey Zaostrovtsev (Higher School of Economics), Yaroslava Shyryaeva (Institute of Economics and Law) "Marxism-Leninism as Religion: The Case of Soviet Political Economy"
- John Taylor (SPbU) "How Neoliberal Economics Replaced Religion in Illinois Politics: Republicans Need a New Rhetoric about Virtue, and They Turned to Neoliberal Economics"
Islamic Economic Doctrine and Islamic Model of Economy
- Andrey Zhuravlyov (Moscow State University) "Translation of the Islamic Economic Doctrine into Contemporary Financial Practice: Evolution or Conflict"
- Naida Aliyeva (Kazan Federal University) "Wealth and Money in Islam"
- Islam Zaripov (Center of Islamic Studies, Kazan) "Economic Problems in the Teaching of Tatar Muslim Reformers of the Early 20th Century"
- Dmitry Pavlov (SPbU) "Iran's Experience in Implementation of Islamic Economy Model"
Economy and Religion: General Issue
- Grigory Tulchinsky (Higher School of Economics) "Religion as an Institutional Factor of a Rallying Ties and Trust"
- Ivan Rozmainsky (SPbU) "Dechristianization and the Economic Institutions of Contemporary Capitalism"
- Pavel Lukichev (St. Petersburg State University of Culture and Arts) "Sustainable Development as the Religion of the Third Millennium"
- Andrey Sosnilo (Financial University of the Government of Russia) "Sore Points of Public Administration in Consumer Society, Conflicts of Values and Vices"
5:00pm Coffee break
5:30pm Religion, Ethics, Language
- Victor Ryazanov (SPbU) "Religious Ethics and 'Anthropological Revolution'"
- Adrian Pabst (University of Kent) "'A Habitual Disposition to the Good' (Aristotle): Economy of Virtue and Honour"
- Denis Kadochnikov (SPbU) "Policy Towards the Church Slavonic Language and Religious Literature in the Context of Peter the Great's Strategy of Socio-Economic Modernization of Russia"
10:00am Islamic Economy
- Renat Bekkin (Institute of Africa of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow) "Is It Possible to Implement Islamic Economic Model in a Particular State?"
- Rodney Wilson (Durham University, UK) "Does Islamic Banking Provide for a More Just Financial System?"
11:30am Coffee break
12:00pm Theology and Economics
- Rustem Nureev (Financial University of the Government of Russia) "Medieval Scholasticism as a Method of World Knowledge"
- Mikhail Shishkin (SPbU) "Theological Elements in Economic Theory: Historical Retrospective"
1:00pm The Church and economic practice. Moderator: Leonid Shirokorad
- Marianna Shakhnovich (SPbU) "'The Agrarian Question' and Anticlericalism in Russia in the First Quarter of the 20th Century"
- Mikhail Shkarovsky (St. Petersburg Central State Historical Archive) "Economic Activities of Alexander Nevsky Lavra in 20th Century"
3:00pm Parallel sessions
Theology and Economics
- Aleksander Marey (Higher School of Economics) "Between Power and Property: A Concept of Dominium in the Theological-Political Theory of Francisco de Vitoria"
- Maksim Markov (SPbU) "Great Architect, Natural Order and Adam Smith's Economic System"
- Aleksander Dubyansky (SPbU) "Religious Aspects of Usury as an Economic Concept"
Old Believers: Business Ethics and Economic Role
- Kirill Lapitsky (SPbU) "Old Belief and Economic Activity: Attempts to Interpret"
- Aleksander Prigarin (Odessa National University, Ukraine) "Traditions and Innovations in Economic Culture of Lipovans: Evidence from Field Study"
- Danila Raskov (SPbU), Vadim Kufenko (University of Hohenheim, Germany) "The Role of Old Believers in Moscow 19th Century Textile Industry: What Is the Evidence?"
Economic Anthropology and Religion
- Olesya Kuznetsova, Ekaterina Grishaeva (Ural Federal University, Yekaterinburg) "Alternative Spirituality: Women Practices"
- Anastasia Domanskaya (Belarusian State University, Belarus) "Evangelical Christians in Polesie: The Phenomenon of the Agro-Town Olshany"
- Aleksander Skorobogatov (Higher School of Economics) "Media and Religious Affiliation: Case of Pussy Riot Performance"
- Tatiana Shishkina (SPbU) "Religion and Economy as a United Social Institute"
4:40pm Parallel sessions
Economics and the Problem of Salvation
- Konstantin Golubev (SPbU) "Problems of Economic Ethics in the Age of Globalization in Pope Benedict 16s Encyclicals"
- Valeriy Dymshitz (SPbU) "Monetary Conception of Sin and Virtue in the Traditional Mentality of the East European Jews"
- Yury Akimov (SPbU) "Salvation of Pagans and Colonial Economy in North America and Siberia (16th–18th Centuries)"
Faith and Prosperity: "Spiritual Economics" of Modern Religious Cultures
- Aleksander Panchenko (SPbU; EUSP) "Money, Happiness and Transcendental: Economic Imagination and New Religious Movements"
- Sergey Shtyrkov (EUSP) "Protestant Entrepreneurship as a Historical Phenomenon and a Category of Commoners' Imagination"
- Zhanna Kormina (Higher School of Economics) "Price of a Prayer: Political Economy of Modern Orthodoxy"
Economics and Religion in the Mirror of Arts
- Arseny Tarabanov (SPbU) "Gelt est verbum Diaboli?"
- Vera Gushchina (Voronezh State University) "J. Ruskin and W. Morris as Creative Industries' Predecessors"
- Aleksander Pogrebnyak (SPbU) "Economic Theology of Nikolai Gogol"
6:10pm Coffee break
6:30pm Theology, Ethics and Political Economy
- Tatiana Koval (Higher School of Economics) "Wealth and Property in Patristic Heritage"
- Federico d'Onofrio (Duke University, USA) "Visible Hands: God, the Sovereign, and Providence in Genovesi and the Italian Enlightenment"