Social Semiotics: Points of Growth
International conference "Social Semiotics: Points of Growth" in a virtual format.
The goal of the conference is to organize an advanced discussion of the opportunities for the development of important interdisciplinary fields such as social semiotics where the mutual relationship of semiotic and symbolic systems in various social practices, dynamically impact the cultural-historical environment, are researched.
Ivan Mikirtumov (SPbU) — chair
Denis Akhapkin (SPbU)
Suren Zolyan (Baltic Federal University, Kaliningrad)
Ilia Kalinin (SPbU)
Grigory Tulchinsky (SPbU; Higher School of Economics)
10:00am–1:00pm Conference opening. Plenary session "Social Semiotics: Origins, Problems, Prospects". Moderator: Suren Zolyan. Simultaneous translation
- Suren Zolyan (Baltic Federal University, Kaliningrad) "Social Semiotics: Forty Years Later"
- Richard Bob Hodge (University of Western Sydney, Australia) "Social Semiotics and the Digital Revolution"
- Grigory Tulchinsky (SPbU; Higher School of Economics) "The Interdisciplinary Potential of Social Semiotics"
- Vladimir Plokhotnyuk (North-Caucasus Federal University, Stavropol) "Semiotics as an Analytical Toolkit: The Formation of a Method"
1:30–4:00pm Parallel sessions
Semiosis of Digital Culture. Moderator: Grigory Tulchinsky
- Mikhail Ilyin (Higher School of Economics; Institute of Scientific Information for Social Sciences of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow) "Logonomic Systems: Reflection, Meaningfulness and Verbalization of Action"
- Elena Semenova (Institute of Art Education and Cultural Studies of the Russian Academy of Education, Moscow) "Eating Disorders of Adolescents and Young People in the Modern Digital World (Performative Aspect)"
- Mikhail Stepanov (St. Petersburg State University of Industrial Technologies and Design) "Narrative Structures in the Digital Aesthetics of a Video Clip"
- Boris Shifrin (St. Petersburg State University of Aerospace Instrumentation) "Semiotic Mechanisms of the 'Strange' (On the Question of Organons of Poetics)"
Transmedial Narratology. Moderator: Larissa Muravieva
- Ivan Delazari (Higher School of Economics) "Comics by Ear: Diegetic Sound as a Transmedial Entity"
- Gleb Egorov (SPbU) "Intermedial Transposition in 'Froth on the Daydream' by Boris Vian and Edison Denisov"
- Pavel Zhilichev (Institute of Philology of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Novosibirsk) "The Experience of Time in Absurdist Cinematic Narratives (Based on the Works by Harold Pinter)"
- Ilya Deikun (MSU) "Principle of Maximal Departure in Media Hybrids on the Example of 'La fabrique du pré' by Francis Ponge and Llul's 'Ars Мagna'"
- Ekaterina Krivogornitseva (SPbU) "'They Do Not Want to Look:' Interpretation of V. Nabokov's 'Lolita' in Poetic and Prosaic Fanfiction"
- Maya Liberman (SPbU) "Narrating One's Self as an Act of a Writer's Identity Construction: Edmund White and Vladimir Nabokov"
4:00–4:30pm Mikhail Epstein (Emory University, USA) "Social Semiotics: From Theory to Practices"
4:30–5:30pm Worksop "The Mechanisms of Meaning Formation and Textualization in the Communication Process"
- Suren Zolyan (Baltic Federal University, Kaliningrad) "Linguistic Factors of Meaning Formation"
- Grigory Tulchinsky (SPbU; Higher School of Economics) "Textualization as a Platform of Interdisciplinarity"
6:00–7:30pm Master class by Aleksander Gornon "Poetry as Polyphonosemantics"
10:00am–1:00pm Plenary session "Social Semiotics as Interdisciplinary Organon". Moderators: Mikhail Ilyin, Denis Akhapkin
- Wolf Schmid (Hamburg, Germany) "Selection and Concretization in Verbal and Cinematic Narration"
- Ksenia Shtalenkova (European Humanities University, Lithuania) "Semiotic Approach to Visual Analysis of Currency Designs"
- Vladimir Avdonin (Institute of Scientific Information for Social Sciences of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow) "The Apparatus of Social Semiotics in Research of Interdisciplinary Transfers in Science"
- German Ostapenko (Moscow State Institute of International Relations, Moscow) "Perfomatives and Capital Cities: Essay on the Way to Semiotics of Capital Cities"
- Sergey Gerasimov (St. Petersburg University of Economics) "Performatives and Narratives in the Processes of Generating Social Reality"
- Valeria Chernyavskaya (Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University) "Socio-Cultural Dimension of Visuality: In the View of Linguistics"
1:30–3:30pm Parallel sessions
Politics and Communication sub Specie Semioticae. Moderator: Ilia Kalinin
- Sergey Akopov (Higher School of Economics) "Narrative and Performative Practices of Sovereignty"
- Evgeny Molodychenko (Higher School of Economics) "Discourse / Context: The Role of the Communicative Technology in 'Circumscribing' a Discourse and Generating Its Meaning"
- Aleksei Shustov (Laboratory of Socio-Political Technologies "AMP SPb") "Political History from the Standpoint of Political Psychologist: What Could Become Invisible with a Change in the Meaning of the Concept of 'Imperium'?"
Transmedial narratology. Moderator: Valery Timofeev
- Lyubov Bugaeva (SPbU) "Mise en Abyme, Screenlife, and 'New Language' of Storytelling"
- Sergey Ogudov (Gosfilmofond of Russia) "Emotion and Screenplay Narrative: Scenarios by Aleksandr Rzhezshevsky"
- Nina Semenova (Tver State University) "Types of Iterative Narration in Chekhov's Short Stories"
- Alexander Pronin (SPbU) "A Documentary Film as 'Narrative Designer'"
- Valery Timofeev (SPbU) "The Semiosis of Epytaphy"
- Elizaveta Shmeleva (Tver State University) "The System of Viewpoints as a Sense-Making Category in the Short Story 'Details of a Sunset' by V. V. Nabokov"
- Anastasia Kudina (Tver State University) "The Intertextual Relations of 'Text-Continuation' '1985' by D. Dalosh and Dystopian Novel '1984' by G. Orwell"
- Maria Usova (SPbU) "Lolita Before Nabokov, After Nabokov, and Without Nabokov"
3:30–5:30pm Parallel sessions
Semiotics of Stories and Semiotics of History. Moderators: Ivan Mikirtumov, Grigory Tulchinsky
- Dmitry Panchenko (SPbU) "Razors of European Bronze Age Warriors: Sign and Function"
- Denis Skopin (SPbU) "Commentary on a Photograph from Roland Barthes' Book 'Camera Lucida' (Cohen Wessing, Nicaragua, 'Parents Discovering Their Child's Body')"
- Sergey Chebanov (SPbU) "The Semiology of Palimpsest and General Semiotics"
- Pavel Shirinkin (Perm State Institute of Culture) "Prospects for Using 'Symbolic' Resources in the Practice of Regional Tourism and Socio-Cultural Activities"
- Alexey Kotelvas "The Traces of a Merchant's Portrait in Creative Work of Valentin Serov"
Transmedial Narratology. Moderators: Nina Savchenkova, Larissa Muravieva
- Larissa Muravieva (SPbU) "Alain Robbe-Grillet's Collaborations: 'Generating Image' of Narration"
- Nina Savchenkova (SPbU) "'Un Homme Qui Dort:' Narrative Hypersimulations"
- Egor Makhonin (SPbU) "Recipient as Co-Author: Degrees of Plasticity in Video Game Narrative"
- Alena Eremenko (Russian State University for the Humanities, Moscow) "The Two-Dimensional Narrative of Synthetic Text in the Video Clips by the British Indie Rock Band Alt-J"
- Pavel Zarutsky (SPbU) "'Slovomekhanizmy:' Regarding the Usage of Typewriter in Contemporary Experimental Poetry"
- Natalia Fedorova (SPbU) "The Experience of Creating a Textual Database for the Neuro-Opera 'Nur' as a Way to Build a Transmedial Narrative"
- Alexandra Bazhenova-Sorokina (Higher School of Economics, Moscow) "Past Tense in Comics: Features of the Medium"
5:30–6:30pm Presentation of the second issue "Projective Philosophical Dictionary"
6:30–7:00pm Closing of the conference