Language. Music. Gesture
International conference "Language—Music—Gesture: Informational Crossroads".
Aims of the conference—to create an interdisciplinary platform for a fruitful discussion of the problems of language, music and gesture interaction in the modern information world.
- St. Petersburg State University
- Bard College
- Vaganova Ballet Academy
- Tatiana Chernigovskaya (SPbU)—co-chair
- Leon Botstein (Bard College, USA)—co-chair
- Polina Eismont (SPbU)
- Gary Hagberg (Bard College, USA)
- Svetlana Lavrova (Vaganova Ballet Academy)
- Olga Manulkina (SPbU)
- Tatiana Petrova (SPbU)
- Elena Riekhakainen (SPbU)
- Victor Shadrin (SPbU)
- The structure of linguistic and musical knowledge, their functioning and formation; implicit and explicit components in their acquisition; common and different features in music and language perception and understanding
- Non-verbal means of communication; prosodic characteristics of speech, their perception; gesture, body language and their interaction with verbal communication and music
- Questions of language and musical mastering; the interaction between language and music in the process of their acquisition; interaction between cognitive systems responsible for the perception of musical and linguistic text
- Musical informatics, computer and electro-acoustic music; development of electronic musical instruments and principles of performance; neural networks in music and language
- Automatic processing of language and music data; quantitative studies of musical and linguistic text
- Leon Botstein (USA)
- Aleksander Kharuto (Russia)
- Grigory Kreydlin (Russia)
- Caroline Palmer (Canada)
- Stephan Sallat (Germany)
- Mikko Sams (Finland)
10:00–12:00pm Conference opening: Welcome remarks by Tatiana Chernigovskaya, Leon Botstein and Nikolay Tsiskaridze
- Tatiana Chernigovskaya (SPbU) "Baroque Brain: Science and Humanities in Interaction"
- Mikko Sams (Aalto University, Finland) "Human Brain Activity During Natural Language and Music"
12:00–12:15pm Coffee break
12:15–1:45pm Representation of Gesture and Music in Speech
- Leonid Pakhomov, Elena Erofeeva (Perm State University), Tatiana Petrova (SPbU) "Metaphorical Space of Discourse: Modeling of a Vocal Metaphor Target-Domain"
- Polina Eismont (SPbU) "Non-Verbal Behavior and Its Role in Narrative Production"
- Annamaria Minafra (Italy) "Exploring Gestures and Body Language in Professional Musicians During the Self-Reflection Process on Technical Movement"
3:00–4:30pm Formal Description of Music
- Giula Shamilli (The State Institute for Art Studies of the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation, Moscow) "Language and Music in Aspect of a Subject-Predicate Construction: Hierarchical and Non-Hierarchical Structures"
- Oguzhan Tugral (Turkey) "On the Syntax of a Compound Maqam in Turkish Art Music: Another Look at Maximal Projections in Generative Grammar Studies in Music"
- Garry Hagberg (Bard College, USA) "Kivy's Mystery: Absolute Music and What the Formalist Can (or Could) Hear"
Language as a Reflection of Gesture and Music
- Apollinaria Avrutina (SPbU) "Language and Music: Translation in Musical Reading"
- Elena Chistova (Siberian Federal University, Krasnoyarsk) "Non-Verbal Semiotics in Dance Narrative and Simultaneous Interpreting: A Cognitive Intersection"
- Tatiana Skulacheva (Vinogradov Russian Language Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow), Natalia Slioussar (SPbU; Higher School of Economics, Moscow), Aleksander Kostyuk (Moscow), Anna Lipina (Moscow), Eduard Latypov (Russian State University for the Humanities, Moscow), Valeria Koroleva (Russian State University for the Humanities, Moscow) "Information Processing in Verse and Prose: An Experimental Study"
4:30–5:30pm Aleksander Kharuto (Moscow State Tchaikovsky Conservatory) "Objective sound analysis in musicology: problems of verification
5:30–5:45pm Coffee break
5:45–6:45pm Modern View of Music Description
- Anastasia Gundorina (Gnessin State Musical College, Moscow) "Metaphor as a Structural Principle of Modern Musical Notation"
- David Cotter (University of Cambridge, UK) "Remote Collaboration: Communication, Creativity, and Latency"
7:00pm Welcome party
10:00–11:00am Grigory Kreydlin (Russian State University for the Humanities, Moscow) "Gestures and Speech in the New Linguo-Semiotic Dictionary"
11:00–12:30pm Language, Music and Gesture on Stage
- Olga Manulkina (SPbU) "Reading Opera: Verbal vs Nonverbal in Opera Theatre at the Late 20th and Early 21st Centuries"
- Ilia Kronchev (SPbU) "Language of Body in Rebecca Horn's Performances: The Pattern of the Gesture and Its Semiotics"
- Elena Pogorelova (SPbU) "A Gesture and a Word in a Dance Performance ("The Wedding" by Bronislava Nizhynskaya and "Orpheus and Eurydice" by Pina Bausch)"
- Tatiana Tsaregradskaya (Gnessin State Musical College, Moscow) "Picturesque and Musical Ekphrasis: The Role of Artistic Gesture"
12:30–12:45pm Coffee break
12:45–2:45pm Body — Gesture — Sign: Multisensory in New Media Art
- Svetlana Lavrova (Vaganova Ballet Academy) "Music as an 'Impossible Experience': Multisensory Perception in the Composer's Practice of the 21st Century"
- Aleksandra Krylova (Rostov State Rachmaninov Conservatory) "Acousmatic Objects in the Space of Multimedia Installations"
- Ekaterina Zavodova, Valeria Karpinskaya (SPbU) "Cross-Modal Interaction in Visual Tasks with Rhythmical Stimuli"
- Ekaterina Levina (Vaganova Ballet Academy) "K.King's 'Metapoiesis' as a Form of Intertext"
Prosody in Speech and Music
- Tatiana Kachkovskaia (SPbU) "Intensity Patterns of Final and Non-Final IPs: A Corpus-Based Study"
- Valeriia Dolgaya (SPbU), Elena Riekhakaynen (SPbU), Evelina Kuznetsova (Educational Сenter "Sirius", Sochi), Varvara Nikolaeva (Educational Сenter "Sirius", Sochi) "Can Adolescents Recognize the Emotional State of Their Age-Mates by Speech?"
- Pavel Skrelin, Uliana Kochetkova, Vera Evdokimova, Tatiana Chukaeva, Daria Novoselova (SPbU) "Creating a Corpus of Speech for the Analysis of the Acoustic Cues of Irony"
- Vera Evdokimova (SPbU) "A Comparative Analysis of the Long-Term Speech Spectra in Dialogues"
4:30–5:30pm Leon Botstein (Bard College, USA) "From Concerts to Movies: Musical Rhetoric and Meaning in Historical Perspective"
5:30–6:30pm Caroline Palmer (McGill University, Canada) "Rhythms of Speech and Music: Accommodating Despite Oneself"
10:00–11:00am Stephan Sallat (Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg, Germany) "Music and (Impaired) Language Acquisition: Implications for Music Intervention and Music Therapy"
11:00–12:30pm Teaching Music to Children
- Anna Vlasenkova (N. A. Rimsky-Korsakov Saint Petersburg State Conservatory) "The Role of Language and Gesture in Teaching Music to Younger Children"
- Nina Berger (N. A. Rimsky-Korsakov Saint Petersburg State Conservatory) "Rhythm in Music as a Projection of Life Experience"
- Olga Sizovaа (Психолого-педагогический центр по социальной адаптации детей с тяжелыми нарушениями речи) "Sensory-Motor Abilities as Admission to Language and Music"
Semiotic Issues of Language and Music
- Galina Zhukova (SPbU) "Music and Language: Cognition-Performance-Practice"
- Konstantin Zenkin (Moscow State Tchaikovsky Conservatory) "Music Sense and Gesture"
- Nina Scherbak (SPbU) "Theory of Sign and Cognitive Abilities, Interaction of Musical and Literary Languages"
12:30–12:45pm Coffee break
12:45–2:15pm Folklore Issues
- João Veloso (University of Porto, Portugal) "Metric and Musical Prominence in Portuguese Folk Verse"
- Sofiya Ros (Utrecht University Netherlands) "When Language has a Beat: Senegalese Drum Language and Linguistic Theory"
- Ilya Saytanov (Higher School of Economics, Moscow), Sofia Vlasova (Moscow) and Evgenia Khazdan "Mode Tagging for the Klezmer Music Corpus"
Language and Music in Literature and Cinema
- Ksenia Zinovieva (Higher School of Economics, Moscow) "Usage of Loanwords in Russian Popular Songs"
- Elizaveta Dorfman (St. Petersburg State University of Film and Television) "Songs and Sentiments: Lost in Perception. Tunes and Lyrics in Russian-Israeli Accented Films"
- Ruslan Bitsoev (SPbU) "The Requiem for a Language. The Paradoxes of the Visible and Audible in the Sspace of Joseph Brodsky's 'The Hawk's Cry in Autumn'"
3:15–4:15pm Poster session
- Magdalena Tovar-Espada (Switzerland) "Music and Language Acquisition: The Role of Deliberate Practise"
- Dominique Porebska-Quasnik (France) "Complete Scenic Stylization of Operas Thanks to an Absolute Liberation of Musical Language"
- Bakhtijar Amanzhol (Kurmangazy Kazakh National Conservatory, Kazakhstan) "Music as a Language of Spatial Structures"
- Anisiya Artemova (SPbU) "'Sound-Box' and 'Theory of Gesture': Looking for New Methods of Music Analysis"
Polina Bakhturina, Daria Chernova, Daria Podvigina (SPBU) "The Speaker's Voice Affects Semantic Processing: Contextually Relevant Experience and Predictive Mechanisms of Speech Perception"
Kristina Chuprova: (General secondary school 16) "Theatre and Improvisation Games for Teaching Russian as a Foreign Language"
Vera Demina (Rostov State Rachmaninov Conservatory) "Interaction of Visual and Sound Components in the Stage Space of the Performance-Performance 'Dionysus-69' by R. Schechner"
- Inga Dorokhova ("Academy of Talents"), Tatiana Petrova (SPbU) "Translaion & Interpretation of Visual Image: Creating the LGMIC-2021 Conference Logo
- Gleb Egorov (SPbU) "Popular Music Analysis: A New Methodology"
- Alexandra Evdokimova (Institute of Linguistics of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow) "Facial Expressions in Communication (On the Material Corpus RUPEX) and Facial Expressions in the Flamenco Dance of Non-Professional Russian Dancers"
- Sergey Gribov (Altai State University, Barnaul) "Virtual and Real Body in Digital Performance"
Mikhail Ivanov (SPbU) "Sight Translation and Its Dependance on Text Pre-Reading Type"
- Anna Nepsha (SPbU) "Emptiness and Sound in Contemporary Art: Sound Installation"
- Maria Nikolayeva (Rostov State Rachmaninov Conservatory) "The Image of the Japanese Garden in the Works by Toru Takemitsu: on the Issue of Multi-Channel Symbolic Meanings"
- Georgiy Petrenko (Saint Petersburg Electrotechnical University) "The Gender Aspect of Speech Emotion Perception"
- Sergey Romashko (MSU) "Gesture as a Semiotic Umbrella Term"
- Vladimir Sivitsky (Lesgaft National State University of Physical Education, Sport and Health) "Dance as a Language of Communication"
Daria Skvortsova (SPbU) "Text, Sound and Image: What kind of Internet Memes do Teenagers Like?"
- Svetlana Sorokina (Kazan Federal University) "The Language of Music and the Music of Language: The Relationship of Emotional Impact"
Valery Timofeev (SPbU) "Hybrids and Musical Duets in Vladimir Nabokov's 'Ultima Thule'"
- Elena Ursolenko (Vaganova Ballet Academy) "Folklore Dancing as the Young Generation Educational Instrument in Cyprus"
- Alexandra Shornikova (Rostov State Rachmaninov Conservatory) "Texts and Speech Techniques in the Performative Concept of Documentary Music Video Theatre by Steve Reich"
- Lev Shchekin (Military Academy of Logistical Support "General of the Army A. V. Khrulev") "Music-Life and Music-Death"
- Elizaveta Yanina, Maksim Podolyak (Saint-Petersburg Scientific-Research Institute for Physical Culture) "Position Evaluation in the Game of Go"
4:15–5:45pm Emotions and AI
- Anastassia Kolmogorova, Aleksander Kalinin, Alina Malikova (Siberian Federal University, Krasnoyarsk) "The part and the whole in emotional perception of text: two pathways for assessment of emotional dataset"
- Artemiy Kotov, Nikita Arinkin, Liudmila Zaidelman, Anna Zinina (Kurchatov Institute, Moscow), Aleksander Filatov (Russian State University for the Humanities, Moscow) "Model of Emotional Expressions for F-2 Companion Robot"
- Eleonora Beier (University of California, USA) "Prosodic Focus in Speech Directed Toward Human vs. Voice-AI Interlocutors"
6:00pm Closing ceremony