Language. Music. Gesture
International conference "Language. Music. Gesture: Informational Crossroads" (58–60 Galernaya Street).
Aims of the conference—to create an interdisciplinary platform for a fruitful discussion of the problems of language, music and gesture interaction in the modern information world.
10:00am Conference opening
- Tatiana Chernigovskaya (SPbU) "Baroque Brain: Science and Humanities in Interaction"
- Mikko Sams (Aalto University, Finland) "Human Brain Activity During Natural Language and Music"
12:00pm Coffee break
12:15pm Representation of Gesture and Music in Speech
- Leonid Pakhomov, Elena Erofeeva (Perm State University), Tatiana Petrova (SPbU) "Metaphorical Space of Discourse: Modeling of a Vocal Metaphor Target-Domain"
- Polina Eismont (SPbU) "Non-Verbal Behavior and Its Role in Narrative Production"
- Annamaria Minafra (Italy) "Exploring Gestures and Body Language in Professional Musicians During the Self-Reflection Process on Technical Movement"
3:00pm Formal Description of Music
- Giula Shamilli (The State Institute for Art Studies of the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation, Moscow) "Language and Music in Aspect of a Subject-Predicate Construction: Hierarchical and Non-Hierarchical Structures"
- Oguzhan Tugral (Turkey) "On the Syntax of a Compound Maqam in Turkish Art Music: Another Look at Maximal Projections in Generative Grammar Studies in Music"
- Garry Hagberg (USA) "Kivy's Mystery: Absolute Music and What the Formalist Can (or Could) Hear"
Language as a Reflection of Gesture and Music
- Apollinaria Avrutina (SPbU) "Language and Music: Translation in Musical Reading"
- Elena Chistova (Siberian Federal University, Krasnoyarsk) "Non-verbal Semiotics in Dance Narrative and Simultaneous Interpreting: A Cognitive Intersection"
- Tatiana Skulacheva (Vinogradov Russian Language Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow), Natalia Slioussar (SPbU; Higher School of Economics, Moscow), Aleksander Kostyuk (Moscow), Anna Lipina (Moscow), Eduard Latypov and Valeria Koroleva (Russian State University for the Humanities, Moscow) "Information Processing in Verse and Prose: An Experimental Study"
4:30pm Aleksander Kharuto (Moscow State Tchaikovsky Conservatory) "Objective sound analysis in musicology: problems of verification
5:30pm Coffee break
5:45pm Modern View of Music Description
- Anastasia Gundorina (Gnessin State Musical College, Moscow) "Metaphor as a Structural Principle of Modern Musical Notation"
- David Cotter (University of Cambridge, UK) "Remote Collaboration: Communication, Creativity, and Latency"
7:00pm Welcome party
10:00am Grigory Kreydlin (Russian State University for the Humanities, Moscow) "Gestures and Speech in the New Linguo-Semiotic Dictionary"
11:00am Language, Music and Gesture on Stage
- Olga Manulkina (SPbU) "Reading Opera: Verbal vs Nonverbal in Opera Theatre at the Late 20th and Early 21st Centuries"
- Ilia Kronchev (SPbU) "Language of Body in Rebecca Horn's Performances: The Pattern of the Gesture and Its Semiotics"
- Elena Pogorelova (SPbU) "A Gesture and a Word in a Dance Performance ("The Wedding" by Bronislava Nizhynskaya and "Orpheus and Eurydice" by Pina Bausch)"
- Tatiana Tsaregradskaya (Gnessin State Musical College, Moscow) "Picturesque and Musical Ekphrasis: The Role of Artistic Gesture"
12:30pm Coffee break
12:45pm Body. Gesture. Sign: Multisensory in New Media Art
- Svetlana Lavrova (Vaganova Ballet Academy) "Music as an 'Impossible Experience:' Multisensory Perception in the Composer's Practice of the 21st Century"
- Aleksandra Krylova (Rostov State Rachmaninov Conservatory) "Acousmatic Objects in the Space of Multimedia Installations"
- Ekaterina Zavodova, Valeria Karpinskaya (SPbU) "Cross-Modal Interaction in Visual Tasks with Rhythmical Stimuli"
- Ekaterina Levina (Vaganova Ballet Academy) "K. King's 'Metapoiesis' as a Form of Intertext"
Prosody in Speech and Music
- Tatiana Kachkovskaia (SPbU) "Intensity Patterns of Final and Non-final IPs: A Corpus-Based Study"
- Valeriia Dolgaya (SPbU), Elena Riekhakaynen (SPbU), Evelina Kuznetsova (Educational Сenter "Sirius," Sochi), Varvara Nikolaeva (Educational Сenter "Sirius", Sochi) "Can Adolescents Recognize the Emotional State of Their Age-Mates by Speech?"
- Pavel Skrelin, Uliana Kochetkova, Vera Evdokimova, Tatiana Chukaeva, Daria Novoselova (SPbU) "Creating a Corpus of Speech for the Analysis of the Acoustic Cues of Irony"
- Vera Evdokimova (SPbU) "A Comparative Analysis of the Long-Term Speech Spectra in Dialogues"
4:30pm Leon Botstein (USA) "From Concerts to Movies: Musical Rhetoric and Meaning in Historical Perspective"
5:30pm Caroline Palmer (McGill University, Canada) "Rhythms of Speech and Music: Accommodating Despite Oneself"
10:00am Stephan Sallat (Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg, Germany) "Music and (Impaired) Language Acquisition: Implications for Music Intervention and Music Therapy"
11:00am Teaching Music to Children
- Anna Vlasenkova (N. A. Rimsky-Korsakov Saint Petersburg State Conservatory) "The Role of Language and Gesture in Teaching Music to Younger Children"
- Nina Berger (N. A. Rimsky-Korsakov Saint Petersburg State Conservatory) "Rhythm in Music as a Projection of Life Experience"
- Olga Sizovaа (St. Petersburg) "Sensory-Motor Abilities as Admission to Language and Music"
Semiotic Issues of Language and Music
- Galina Zhukova (SPbU) "Music and Language: Cognition-Performance-Practice"
- Konstantin Zenkin (Moscow State Tchaikovsky Conservatory) "Music Sense and Gesture"
- Nina Scherbak (SPbU) "Theory of Sign and Cognitive Abilities, Interaction of Musical and Literary Languages"
12:30pm Coffee break
12:45pm Folklore Issues
- João Veloso (University of Porto, Portugal) "Metric and Musical Prominence in Portuguese Folk Verse"
- Sofiya Ros (Utrecht University Netherlands) "When Language has a Beat: Senegalese Drum Language and Linguistic Theory"
- Ilya Saytanov (Higher School of Economics, Moscow), Sofia Vlasova (Moscow) and Evgenia Khazdan "Mode Tagging for the Klezmer Music Corpus"
Language and Music in Literature and Cinema
- Ksenia Zinovieva (Higher School of Economics, Moscow) "Usage of Loanwords in Russian Popular Songs"
- Elizaveta Dorfman (St. Petersburg State University of Film and Television) "Songs and Sentiments: Lost in Perception. Tunes and Lyrics in Russian-Israeli Accented Films"
- Ruslan Bitsoev (SPbU) "The Requiem for a Language. The Paradoxes of the Visible and Audible in the Space of Joseph Brodsky's 'The Hawk's Cry in Autumn'"
3:15pm Poster session
- Magdalena Tovar-Espada (Switzerland) "Music and Language Acquisition: The Role of Deliberate Practise"
- Dominique Porebska-Quasnik (France) "Complete Scenic Stylization of Operas Thanks to an Absolute Liberation of Musical Language"
- Bakhtijar Amanzhol (Kurmangazy Kazakh National Conservatory, Kazakhstan) "Music as a Language of Spatial Structures"
- Anisiya Artemova (SPbU) "'Sound-Box' and 'Theory of Gesture': Looking for New Methods of Music Analysis"
Polina Bakhturina, Daria Chernova, Daria Podvigina (SPBU) "The Speaker's Voice Affects Semantic Processing: Contextually Relevant Experience and Predictive Mechanisms of Speech Perception"
Kristina Chuprova: (General secondary school 16) "Theatre and Improvisation Games for Teaching Russian as a Foreign Language"
Vera Demina (Rostov State Rachmaninov Conservatory) "Interaction of Visual and Sound Components in the Stage Space of the Performance-Performance 'Dionysus-69' by R. Schechner"
- Inga Dorokhova ("Academy of Talents"), Tatiana Petrova (SPbU) "Translaion & Interpretation of Visual Image: Creating the LGMIC-2021 Conference Logo
- Gleb Egorov (SPbU) "Popular Music Analysis: A New Methodology"
- Aleksandra Evdokimova (Institute of Linguistics of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow) "Facial Expressions in Communication (On the Material Corpus RUPEX) and Facial Expressions in the Flamenco Dance of Non-Professional Russian Dancers"
- Sergey Gribov (Altai State University, Barnaul) "Virtual and Real Body in Digital Performance"
Mikhail Ivanov (SPbU) "Sight Translation and Its Dependance on Text Pre-reading Type"
- Anna Nepsha (SPbU) "Emptiness and Sound in Contemporary Art: Sound Installation"
- Maria Nikolayeva (Rostov State Rachmaninov Conservatory) "The Image of the Japanese Garden in the Works by Toru Takemitsu: on the Issue of Multi-Channel Symbolic Meanings"
- Georgiy Petrenko (Saint Petersburg Electrotechnical University) "The Gender Aspect of Speech Emotion Perception"
- Sergey Romashko (MSU) "Gesture as a Semiotic Umbrella Term"
- Vladimir Sivitsky (Lesgaft National State University of Physical Education, Sport and Health) "Dance as a Language of Communication"
Daria Skvortsova (SPbU) "Text, Sound and Image: What kind of Internet Memes do Teenagers Like?"
- Svetlana Sorokina (Kazan Federal University) "The Language of Music and the Music of Language: The Relationship of Emotional Impact"
Valery Timofeev (SPbU) "Hybrids and Musical Duets in Vladimir Nabokov's 'Ultima Thule'"
- Elena Ursolenko (Vaganova Ballet Academy) "Folklore Dancing as the Young Generation Educational Instrument in Cyprus"
- Alexandra Shornikova (Rostov State Rachmaninov Conservatory) "Texts and Speech Techniques in the Performative Concept of Documentary Music Video Theatre by Steve Reich"
- Lev Shchekin (Military Academy of Logistical Support "General of the Army A. V. Khrulev") "Music-Life and Music-Death"
- Elizaveta Yanina, Maksim Podolyak (St. Petersburg Institute for Physical Culture) "Position Evaluation in the Game of Go"
4:15pm Emotions and AI
- Anastassia Kolmogorova, Aleksander Kalinin, Alina Malikova (Siberian Federal University, Krasnoyarsk) "The part and the whole in emotional perception of text: two pathways for assessment of emotional dataset"
- Artemiy Kotov, Nikita Arinkin, Liudmila Zaidelman, Anna Zinina (Kurchatov Institute, Moscow), Aleksander Filatov (Russian State University for the Humanities, Moscow) "Model of Emotional Expressions for F-2 Companion Robot"
- Eleonora Beier (University of California, USA) "Prosodic Focus in Speech Directed Toward Human vs. Voice-AI Interlocutors"
6:00pm Closing ceremony