Since 1972 working for I.Sechenov Institute of Russian Academy of Sciences. Since 1995 — Professor of St. Petersburg State University. Teaches courses in Psycho- and Neurolinguistics; special seminars on cerebral basis for language and cognition. Supervisor for graduate, post-graduate and Ph. D. students; consulting teachers and speech therapists.
- Member of Russian Academy of Education
- Member of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters
- Honorary member of the Semiotic Society of Finland
- Member of the President Council for Science and Education
Member of the Editorial Boards
- Journal of Language and Language Behaviour
- Sensory Systems
- Journal of Philosophy
- Journal of Artificial Intelligence
- Journal of Neurophilosophy
- Journal of Socio- and Psycholinguistic Studies
- The International Journal of Cognitive Research in Science, Engineering and Education
- The International Journal of Engineering, Management and Information Sciences
- Grantee of J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship (1998)
- Grantee of Russian State Scholarship for Outstanding Scientists (1998-2001)
Group leader of international and national grants from Russian Foundation for Basic Research, Russian Scientific Foundation for Research in Humanities, Russian Scientific Foundation and Ministry of Education of Russia. Invited lecturer in many European and North American Universities.
Major research interests
- Cerebral basis for linguistic and cognitive functions
- Theory of Mind
- Artificial intelligence
- Language evolution and acquisition
- Mental lexicon organization
- Language acquisition and pathology
- Russian (native)
- English (fluent in speaking, reading, writing)
- German and French (reasonable in reading and understanding).
More than 350 publications. Multiple participation in pop-science TV and radio programs, public lectures and movies. Gold medal of Russian Academy of Sciences for propagation of scientific knowledge (2017).