Born in St.Petersburg, March 17, 1956. Educated at St. Petersburg State University, Department of Greek and Roman History (1973–1978) and Institute of History, Russian Academy of Sciences, post-graduate school (1979–1982). 1984: Ph. D. in history from Institute of History, Russian Academy of Sciences; dissertation topic: "Literary Sources of Tommaso Campanella's City of the Sun."
- 1982–1993 Researcher, St. Petersburg Institute of History of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- Since 1990 Teacher of history, St. Petersburg Classical High School
- 1991–1992 Post-doctoral fellow, Harvard University (USA)
- 1993–1994 Fellow, Center for Hellenic Studies in Washington (USA)
- 1994–1996 Editor-in-Chief, "Hyperboreus: Studia Classica"
- 1997–1998 Fellow, University of Konstanz (Germany)
- 2008–2010 Fellow, Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies (Finland)
- Since 1999 Associate Professor, St. Petersburg State University