Born in St.Petersburg, March 17, 1956. Educated at St.Petersburg State University, Department of Greek and Roman History (1973–1978) and Institute of History, Russian Academy of Sciences, post-graduate school (1979–1982). 1984: Ph. D. in history from Institute of History, Russian Academy of Sciences; dissertation topic: «Literary Sources of Tommaso Campanella’s City of the Sun».
- 1982–1993 — researcher at the Institute of History, Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg
- Since 1990 — teacher of history at St.Petersburg Classical High School
- 1991–1992 — post-doctoral fellow at Harvard University, Department of Sociology
- 1993–1994 — fellow at the Center for Hellenic Studies in Washington D. C.
- 1994–1996 — Editor-in-Chief of Hyperboreus: Studia Classica (since 1997 one of the co-editors)
- 1997–1998 — fellow of Alexander von Humboldt Foundation at University of Konstanz
- 2002 Spring semester — teaching at Bard College
- 20080-2010 – fellow at Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies
- Since 1999 – Associate Professor at Department of Liberal Arts and Sciences, St. Petersburg State University